Why is sustainability important?
Climate change is happening, and we feel that as a business who trades in minerals that have been dug out of the ground and shipped around the globe, we have a responsibility to make the most positive impact we can to the best of our ability. By making more proactively sustainable choices there are benefits to us as a company, the local and global environment, the local and global supply chains and the trade as a whole.
The approach so far
To date we have undertaken the simpler things to reduce our impact. These include:
- Changed all company cars to 100% electric
- Changed our refuse collection to First Mile, a service that both recycles a wide range of waste and doesn’t send unrecyclable waste to landfill, instead they send it to be incinerated to power turbines. Our current recycling rate is 68%
- Ensured all electrical waste is recycled via our IT providers
- Moved to a renewable electricity supplier and installed a Smart Meter
- Upgraded all office lighting to energy efficient LED
- Upgraded all air conditioning in the office
- Engaged in a tree planting program via Fruitful Office
- Changed our post packaging to 100% recyclable material
In 2023 we plan to continue making small, immediate adjustments where we can and start to tackle the more in depth and difficult aspects. We plan to:
- Measure our carbon footprint for 2022 and begin the process of offsetting what we can in partnership with C-Free
- Audit all business travel
- Continue to search for a more sustainable alternative to the plastic bags we currently use for some stock
- Make enquiries into installing solar panels on our building
- Investigate gas heating alternatives
- Investigate help and incentives for our employees to reduce their commuting carbon footprint.